Decreasing Dust Mites for Your Allergic Dog

Learn about dust mite allergies in dogs.

Dust mites are microscopic bugs that every home hosts. They eat skin and dander that come off humans and pets. They especially love to hang out in bedding and sleeping areas and carpeting and are more plentiful in high humidity homes.

Are Dust Mites Bad for Dogs?

Dust mites are only a bad thing for dogs to be around if the dog is allergic to them. In that case, being exposed to dust mites can cause atopic dermatitis, which is itchy skin. Dogs may scratch incessantly, lose hair, and develop secondary skin infections.

House dust mites cause atopy that's consistent all year round because the dog is exposed to mites all year.

A veterinarian can diagnose house dust mite allergy by ruling out other causes of allergies, such as food allergy, by doing a food trial. Allergy testing may isolate dust mite allergy.

How to Decrease Your Dog's Exposure to Dust Mites

Here are some ways to decrease dust mites in your home:

Additionally, follow your veterinarian's recommendations for treating your dog and decreasing itchiness and secondary skin infections.

Learn more about atopy here: "Atopy: Inhalant Allergies in Dogs."

You May Also Like These Articles:

Food Trials for Dogs

Atopy: Inhalant Allergies in Dogs

Food Allergies in Dogs

Dealing With Canine Scratching and Licking

Interdigital Cysts in Dogs

Disclaimer: This website is not intended to replace professional consultation, diagnosis, or treatment by a licensed veterinarian. If you require any veterinary related advice, contact your veterinarian promptly. Information at is exclusively of a general reference nature. Do not disregard veterinary advice or delay treatment as a result of accessing information at this site. Just Answer is an external service not affiliated with