Slug and Snail Bait Poisoning in Dogs

Slug and snail bait made with metaldehyde is poisonous to dogs.

Toxicity from eating slug and snail bait is commonly reported in dogs. People who are gardening may leave the open bag in a spot that's accessible to their dog, never considering that their canine companion might munch on it. But dogs seem to be incredibly drawn toward eating these pesticides, and the effects are devastating.

Slug and Snail Bait Poisoning Can Quickly Cause Death in Dogs

If dogs eat enough slug and snail bait, they can suffer from poisoning. The amount needed for toxicity is rather small, too, especially for small dogs.

The main ingredient in slug and snail bait which is toxic to dogs is metaldehyde. It affects the nervous system when ingested.

Signs of toxicity occur rapidly once a dog eats the substance, which comes in liquid, pellets, powder, and granules. Signs may include:

Slug and Snail Bait Ingestion in Dogs Is an Emergency

If you know or even suspect that your dog ate slug and snail bait, don't hesitate. Get your dog to the veterinarian or call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 immediately.

Death can occur rapidly after ingestion of this substance, and emergency action must be taken as quickly as possible.

Consider Canine Friendly Alternatives to Slug and Snail Bait

There are a few alternatives to metaldehyde that you can try to get rid of slugs and snails in your garden.

You May Also Like These Articles:

Rat Poison Toxicity in Dogs

Springtime Hazards for Dogs - Slideshow

Quiz - Do You Know Which Human Foods Are Toxic to Dogs?

A Hidden Laundry Room Danger for Dogs: Laundry Pods

Top 10 Dog Toxins - Slideshow

Foods Toxic to Dogs - Slideshow

Mushroom Toxicity in Dogs

Poisonous Toads and Your Dog

Disclaimer: This website is not intended to replace professional consultation, diagnosis, or treatment by a licensed veterinarian. If you require any veterinary related advice, contact your veterinarian promptly. Information at is exclusively of a general reference nature. Do not disregard veterinary advice or delay treatment as a result of accessing information at this site. Just Answer is an external service not affiliated with